Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Starry Night (reading response)

     The poem , Starry Night by Anne Sexton was really confusing the first time I read it. I wasn't sure how to feel about the poem or even how to think about it. After a couple more times of reading the poem it actually seemed more beautiful to me. Like a fantasy almost.

Oberservation: The first thing I noticed was the excerpt from Vincent Van Goh in the letter to his brother. The second thing i noticed was repetetion of the line 'Oh Starry starry night! This is how I want to die'. Before she would use that line, she would describe parts of the picture. The only stanza that didn't use the line 'Oh, Starry starry night! This is how i want to die' is the final stanza.

Inference: I think she wrote the poem to ecknowledge the beauty of The Starry Night. The town itself isn't that important to her its mainly the stars.

Interpretation: I think she included the excerpt to show how important drawing the stars was to Van goh. It was almost as if painting and being an artisi was his religion. Different people practice their religions different ways. For example, Christians go to church. I think being an artist was Van gohs religion was being an artist; he practiced his religion was to draw the stars.thought she wrote the poem to describe her anticipation for a peaceful death. I thought she didnt want to kill her self but wanted to let her time come on her own, and when it did, she would have the vision of the starry night.


HOWEVER, I thought all of this before Ms.Galang told me and the class she actually did end up killing herself. But still, I hope she saw her Starry Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment